Saturday, March 29, 2014

Life In A Special-Needs World

The April 2013 issue of Parents Magazine has a huge section on special needs children.  It has one section on different perspectives of how special needs parents want to be treated and received.
I read the article as I sat at the hospital waiting on Grace to have her tests last week.  I thought it was spot on.  Then a precious friend called me this week to ask if I had read it.  I told her I had and it was right on spot for my life.  Take time to read "Life In A Special-Needs World: How Every Parent Can Help Kids of All Abilities Thrive. I wanted to share one small part of the section (It can be found on page 65.)



What moms of children with special needs
wish other parents knew . . . . .
 
 
"I may look tough, but know that I am as fragile as my child.  I just don't have the option to show it."
 
"Please don't tell me to just relax.  There is always something to be done: doctor appointments, therapy appointments, insurance people to talk to, papers to be filled out, extra encouragement and praise and attention to be given.  It's exhausting."
 
"We often can't do activities other people with kids the same age do, [but] I still relish the adult friendships [with moms whose kids don't have special needs]."
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment